I’ve managed to get my PHP/cron problem fixed. Well, I say fixed but it seems like more of a hack to get it working. I’ve set up a folder which has 777 permissions so that the cron job can write the file in there without running into permission problems. This doesn’t seem particularly secure to me but I guess it’s a case of security through obscurity. A better way would be to set up some way of chmodding the directory before and after updates, but I think this would need some FTP commands.
Spammers seem to have started using poetry to try and beat the spam filter. Nice try but it doesn’t work!